Friday, June 30, 2006

It's a trap!

My lovely wife has brought it to my attention that I am boring and that nobody wants to read about my life. Especially her. Although she did appreciate being prominently featured. So, this marks the end of the week in review.

This rant is for you, kiddo.

*****

My wife (that's you, Anne!) and I have had some difficulty in the past selecting places to eat out. The way this typically plays out is that Anne tells me that she wants to go out. That's fine. But then she asks me to pick the place because she claims that doesn't care where we go.

Now, when I say "I don't care" what I'm saying is that I don't care. When Anne says "I don't care," what she's saying is, "I care, but you have to guess what I want." So I get to start listing off restaurants and Anne gets to shoot them down.

"How about that Mexican restaurant?"
"No, I don't want Mexican."
"What about that place we went a couple weeks ago?"
"No, I don't feel like going there, either."
"Well, where do you want to go, then?"
"I don't care." <-----(blatant lie)

But, you know, I've gotten used to this routine. It's comfortable, really. Sure, she may be speaking in code, but I know the code, so it's okay. But today, it escalated to previously unrealized levels.

We had both agreed that we would go out to dinner tonight, primarily because we don't have a lot of food in the house (normal for the end of the work week). So we're talking on the phone, and she lists three options for me: Ethiopian (Asmara, probably), a new Chinese place or Fat Lady. So, I'm thinking, this is easy, right? I just have to pick one of these pre-approved options and I'm good to go. Of course, that's not the way this story ends. That would be too easy.

I picked Fat Lady and suddenly, Anne has second thoughts about it, saying that it might be too noisy and crowded on a Friday night. It was devious. I had been lulled into a false sense of security with the multiple choice selection and was totally unprepared for the rejection. I applaud the master on a game well played.

And I still don't know where we're eating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home